Drawing Acts! 2019 TtD Symposium Proceedings
Drawing Acts: Process and Performance // Thinking through Drawing @ SUNY New Paltz, October 5-6, 2019
Drawing and Cognition Research and Education Symposium:
How can drawing act to help us think, learn and understand?
Drawing performances, presentations and workshops explored how the drawing process can work to materialize and extend our ideas and perceptions of ourselves, others and the world in new ways.
Saturday October 5 1pm-6 pm
- 1pm Welcome
Coffee, light refreshments
Introduction to the Thinking through Drawing Project and Drawing Acts
- Faheem Haider, American Table
- 1:30 Drawing Conversations (DoBeDo): pairs of people drew together silently. Angie Brew.
- 2:30 Short presentations: Josh Korenblat, Andrea Frank
- 3:00 Jaanika Peerna, Glacial Elegy
- 4:00 Emily Sheehan: Personal Practice
- 4:30 Roundtable 1. Sharing Practice
- 5:15 Drawing Together: discussion and collaborative concept mapping
SUNY New Paltz Music Concert Series: With Gongs, Drums and Pianos
Sunday October 6, 9am-5pm concurrent workshops interspersed with everyone coming together to share/discuss/perform
- 9:00 Welcome
- 9:30-12:30 Concurrent Sessions
- Andrea Frank and Michael Asbill: TIME DRAWING – a System Drawing Session
- 9:30-11 Cheryl Wheat: The Auspicious Mark Smiley Art Building room 114)
- 11:00 coffee break (College Terrace)
- 11:15 Ann Deutsch: Drawing for Student Engagement
- 11:45 Marta Cabral: Material Inquiry
- 12:30-1:30 Lunch (provided) Roundtable 2: Sharing Practice (Terrace)
- 1:30 Joyce Yu-Jean Lee: Embodying Empathy through Durational Drawing
- 2:00 Chris Moffett & Helen Singh-Miller: The Course of Improvisation
- 3:30 Coffee Break
- 3:45 Drawing Together : Concept Mapping
- 4:15- 5pm Closing Panel discussion: Drawing Together, Thinking Ahead!
New York State In-Service Teachers can receive up to 13 CTLE credit hours.
- an opportunity to join the conversation, share studio and teaching practices, and try out something new!
Dr. Andrea Kantrowitz,
Graduate Program Coordinator, Assistant Professor
Art Education Program
SUNY New Paltz